At Spunky Monkeys Early Learning Centre and Preschools we follow a program called Munch and Move. This program is funded by NSW Health, and is available to NSW early childhood education and care services.
The Munch part of this program is based around encouraging children to eat healthier snacks and consume more water. As busy parents it can be hard to come up with interesting ways for your children to have a healthy snack that they would want to consume.
Some healthy snack ideas would be:
- Fruit skewers – these can be made with pretty much any kind of fruit. For smaller children we would recommend cutting the pointed end off after they have been made. Your children would be able to help make these, which could lead to them wanting to try them.
- Toasted Sandwiches with baked beans
- Scones or pikelets (plain, fruit or savoury)
- Reduced fat custard with fruit
- Vegetable sticks
Another important message that is a part of the Munch is encouraging children to drink water. At Spunky Monkeys Early Learning Centre and Preschool the children have access to their water bottles all day, and are offered milk during morning tea time.
Some ideas on encouraging children to drink water at home:
- Try using straws and decorated cups, as this will make it more interesting for the children consume water.
- Add fruit ice cubes, or pieces of fruit to their drinks
The most effective way for encouraging children to consume more water and eat healthy snacks is by role modelling these behaviours. Make this time a special time for both yourself and your child, by sitting and making some fruit skewers, or making some fruit ice cubes to add to water during dinner time. Talk to your children about all the different colours in the fruit and vegetables, and how nice they all look together.
If you would like some information on the Munch and Move program then please speak to one of the educators at your centre.